Work With Sunset
Experience, Tradition, Excellence
We’re always looking for trail blazers. We’re dedicated, hardworking and committed to outstanding values and excellence. If you’re interested in joining our growing team, please complete an application below.
If you’re interested in applying for this position, please download our General Employment Application below.
We are seeking career minded experienced CDL truck drivers to join our Waste Transfer Team. Must be organized, detail-oriented, and comfortable working independently. A clean driving record and experience as a commercial truck driver is a must. Teamster benefits included.
Benefits of working at Sunset Cartage
- Competitive weekly pay.
- Home daily, local routes, well maintained vehicles
- Working at Sunset is a career opportunity, not just a job
- Class A CDL (Commercial Driver’s License) with at least 6 months of CDL driving experience
- Must pass a company administered road test
- Possess a working knowledge ensuring the safe operation of commercial motor vehicles
- Must pass a DOT background check and pre-employment drug test
- Must have a DOT Medical Examination Certificate
- Must be physically qualified to drive a commercial motor vehicle in accordance with Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration standards
- Clean driving record with no moving violations in the past three years
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Ability to lift up to 70 lbs. and ability to safely climb a ladder
- Transfer waste materials to landfills within 1-3 hour radius
- Meet delivery schedules
- Ensure safe vehicles by performing required vehicle inspections
- Comply with DOT truck driving rules and regulations (size, weight, route designations, parking and break periods) as well as with company policies and procedures
- Consistent awareness of and adaptability to changing traffic conditions and other potential driving hazards
- Report accidents, violations or other safety concerns
- Routinely maneuvers tractor/trailer combination skillfully and safely
- Disciplined, dependable, and resourceful
- Alert, focused, detail-oriented, making safety a priority at all times
- Completes administrative documents, communicates with team and customer representatives as needed and understands instructions
- Self motivated, excellent composure, professional attitude
Job Type: Full-time
Sunset Cartage, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Sunset Logistics LLC is a company with decades of experience in local trucking and logistics. We are strongly committed to providing exceptional customer service as well as care for our employees. We base our day-to-day processes with good character and high integrity to ensure the needs of our customers are met to the best of our abilities. Sunset is currently looking for a Controller. The Controller has ownership of all areas of Financial Accounting and Reporting for Sunset Logistics and related Companies including: (1) Leading and developing a team of 4-5 accounting staff to provide best-in-class service to internal and external customers and vendors; (2) Providing accurate and timely internal and external financial reporting including individual and consolidated financial statements; (3) Building and evaluating cost accounting structures for all areas of the business, identifying inefficiencies, and working with department leaders to implement cost improvements; (4) Creating, monitoring, and reporting around budgetary controls, including providing financial analytics around all areas of financial, cost, production, operational and budgetary reporting; (5) Managing and forecasting cash flow and cash requirements; (6) Routinely improving efficiency, accuracy and effectiveness of all accounting functions and internal controls including purchasing/accounts payable, billing/accounts receivable, cost accounting, financial reporting, etc.; (7) In coordination with third-party IT service provider, oversight of information systems hardware, networking, and software services; and (8) Leading annual insurance evaluation and renewal processes for all liability and property & casualty and workers’ compensation insurance ensuring most cost-effective insurance strategies.
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability
- Provide timely monthly reporting of all company financial results including G/L and account reconciliations, fixed asset analyses, inventory evaluations, comparative and budgetary financial analysis, banking and cash flow, and Leadership Team reporting.
- Develop and maintain effective budgetary and cost accounting systems for Sunset and all affiliated operations including standard costs, variance analyses, margin reporting and timely KPI development & reporting.
- Lead the day-to-day accounting and reporting functions including supervising of accounting staff team (currently 5) – Billing, A/R, A/P, Payroll, GL Accounting & Treasury functions.
- Oversee all Finance & Accounting compliance functions including Union and Federal, State and Local filing & reporting requirements.
- Manage third-party IT solutions provider including hardware, software, networking, and telecommunications.
- Document and maintain workflow & processes for all Finance & Accounting functions including evaluation and maintenance of proper systems and control environment for all entities.
- Other duties as may be assigned
- Attention to Detail
- Responsiveness to Requests
- Goal Setting
- Analytical & Challenging
- Building Account Team Culture
- Strong Emotional Intelligence
- Accurate & Timely Communications
- Process Improvement
- Member of Management Team
- Skills/Knowledge: General Ledger/Accounting Systems including Oracle or similar; MS Excel; Access; Word; Power Point; Federal & State Filings & Compliance; Experience with Database Reporting Systems
- Work Experience: Public Accounting Experience, a plus; Financial Statement Closing, Report and Analytics; Cost Accounting; Aggregate, Construction and/or Logistics industries, a plus; 5+ years leading Accounting Teams of 4+ in Controller or Assistant Controller Role; Oracle/Microsoft/SAP ERP Systems
- Education & Certifications: B.S./B.A. in Account or equivalent; CPA, plus
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance
- 401K with Company Match
- Paid Time off
Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
If you’re interested in applying for this position, please submit your resume’ below.
Our Sunset Logistics Team is currently looking to for a Shop Service Writer / Service Coordinator. This position facilitates communication among and provides support to Mechanics and Fleet Manager for Sunset Logistics and Drivers for Sunset Cartage. Responsible for the creation and distribution of work orders, ordering of parts/supplies, maintaining vehicle maintenance files, reviewing and ensuring accuracy of time & attendance records for shop personnel and performing additional administrative tasks for the shop as needed.
- Review Driver Vehicle Inspection Reports (DVIR) and serve as shop customer service contact for drivers.
- Create work orders based on DVIR’s and required Federal and State inspections
- Communicate with lead mechanics to ensure all work orders are assigned and clear service direction is provided.
- Communicate with Fleet Manager, vehicles that need outside repairs
- Track preventive maintenance and annual service records to ensure timely compliance with Company requirements and DOT regulations
- Communicate with Logistics/Dispatch team around status of repairs, vehicles out of service and required scheduled PM’s
- Reconcile mechanic labor hours on work orders/account to time on timecards for proper payroll and shop cost accounting processing.
- Account for bill of materials on work orders
- Close all completed work orders
- Maintain parts and supplies inventories and order parts to meet work order demands and daily inventory restock requirements
- Create PO’s and Close PO’s for parts purchases, outside repairs, etc.
- Ensure best pricing when purchasing parts and supplies while adhering to Company purchasing procedures Process shop invoices and submit to Accounts Payable department within Company-prescribed time-frames and with required supporting documentation
- Maintain up-to-date files on all records, work orders, PO’s, invoices, DVIR’s etc
- Other tasks as assigned
- Within scope of duties, maintain a safe work environment and ensure compliance with OSHA, EPA, DOT and MSHA rules and regulations
- Discharge duties and assigned tasks in an efficient manner
- Teamwork and effective communication skills in relationship with Shop Staff, Drivers, Fleet Manager, Logistics and Accounting
- Be accountable for maintenance and repair costs
- Knowledge of OSHA, EPA and DOT Regulations applicable to truck and trailer repairs & maintenance
- Knowledge of truck mechanical and maintenance elements and parts sufficient to support shop staff
- Proficient in technical tools required in company tractor and trailer repair and maintenance
- Basic knowledge of Excel & Word
Sunset Logistics is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
Work Location: 1320 S. Virginia Rd. Crystal Lake, IL 60014
This position is responsible for the day to day loading, tarping, dropping and hooking of semi-trailers with consistent collaboration with the Fleet Manager, Dispatch Department and Director of Operations. This position is responsible for consistent and timely communication with the Fleet Manager, Dispatch and the Director of Operations around maintenance and safety / compliance issues for Company owned equipment. This position requires a valid Driver’s License along with familiarity with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration associated with this position.
Communicate on a daily basis, with maintenance, dispatch and safety management teams regarding compliance and mechanical needs of trailers.
Check general condition of trailers and equipment i.e., tires, lights, trailer hook-up, brake lines, doors, body damage, reflectors, glad hands, lights for proper coupling.
Assures that surface will support trailer before uncoupling tractor and trailer
Load and tarp trailers to ensure proper load security while trailers are underway in transport for the purpose of ensuring operational success on a daily basis.
Drop and hook trailers throughout the day at appropriate transfer station to the Yazoo storage yard.
Load and tarp trailers for staging as pre-load for the following day.
Assist transfer drivers in loading, tarping and securing loads at all times.
Perform all job functions in a safe manner being cognizant of good safety practices, being alert and attentive at all times.
Ensure that vehicles moved have appropriate registration certificates, insurance documents and license plates are current.
Obtain and maintain appropriate registration certifications, insurance documents and license plates are current.
Obtain and maintain appropriate paperwork pertaining to load scale tickets / daily run sheets.
Other duties as assigned.
Skills/Knowledge: Meet Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulatory training requirements for position.
Experience: Valid Driver’s License
Education: High School Diploma
Physical Labor Requirements: Possible lifting up to 75lbs
General Employment Resume Submission
Why Choose Sunset Logistics
Experience, Tradition, Excellence
For 30 years we have set the standard in logistics by having dedicated, hardworking and committed employees servicing the Chicagoland area trucking needs. We are grateful for our customers who have chosen to GO with us over the years. We truly appreciate your dedication and commitment! Let’s Go!
Employee driven innovative logistics solutions partnering with our customers, carriers and suppliers with integrity, honesty and safety
It started when Don J. Mueller drove for his grandfather and father. He decided to save up for a truck of his own and managed to purchase a Ford ten-wheeler at the age of 24. In the hopes of starting his own company, he purchased two trucks in September of 1991.
The sun was starting to set and so began…Sunset Cartage Inc.
In 2002 he expanded his fleet buying Lyman Martin Trucking who had been in business since 1923. He did this with the anticipation of expanding his clientele into three other counties, giving Sunset Cartage Inc. the ability to work in all surrounding counties of the Chicagoland area. In 2005, Waspi trucking company’s assets were purchased, including a truck terminal. This also expanded the company in purchasing material and warehousing which established Sunset Logistics, LLC the same year.
With the 2009 economy looking dim, the company began to look for other opportunities to thrive in the market. The company started hauling transfer loads for the waste industry.
To go further, expand and better serve the customers’ needs, in 2011 a limestone quarry was purchased. This led to purchasing a sand and gravel pit and two other quarries.
We have been able to GO because of our extraordinary staff and committed customers over the past 30 years. The sun sets to rise again…LET’S GO!
Don J. Mueller
President & CEO